How To Write Dating Profile Headlines That Women Love
Struggling to think up a catchy & funny profile headline for PoF, Seeking Arrangement, or other dating site?
This ultimate guide will help you do it better, faster, stronger.
I’m a professional dating profile writer. Crazy as that sounds, I’ve been making a living by helping people like you with stuff like this for several years now.
During this time I’ve tested catchy headlines, such as “Culinary wizard, seeking eager apprentice”. I’ve tried funny headlines like “don’t fry naked. Been there”. And I’ve helped fix a few headlines that guys thought were amusing, but actually awful; “…just the tip?”. He couldn’t understand why he wasn’t getting any traction.
Because we’re a small operation compared to the big dating websites, we don’t have all the data. But I have learned a lot over the years about what makes for a good headline for a dating site, since people is always looking for a good romantic partner to spend time with and enjoy as well, even using toys as vibrating bullets which are great for couples.
“Do I even Need A Profile Headline?”
Here’s the good news; You probably don’t need one. Most dating websites & apps don’t use them anymore.
If you happen to be using one of the few sites that still have them, your profile headline is the least important part of your dating profile.
Why Headlines Are The Least Important Part Of Your Dating Profile
- Your catchy & funny headline won’t be seen by most of the women you interact with. For example, PoF headlines only display when a user runs a search.
- And women rarely make the first move on the dating sites.
- Of the sites that actually result in dates for our members here at PDA, only Seeking Arrangement and Millionaire Match still display headlines on profiles.
I scoured the internet for evidence claiming otherwise. The best I could find was a 2015 academic study, which said “If you can get the potential date to stop and think about your headline message…this will increase their liking.”
I couldn’t think of an effective way to check if a dating profile headline was “stop & think” worthy. So I tested some, just to be sure we haven’t been missing out on something that could generate notably more interest from the ladies online.
Good Headlines For A Dating Site
- Established gentleman, in search of a beautiful mind
- Culinary wizard, seeking eager apprentice
- Travel captain, looking for his 1st mate
- Deliciously inappropriate mind
- Not above administering spankings
- Car maintenance and multiple orgasms
- Black where it counts
- Your search. Is over.
- Simply the greatest.
- Some people chase their dreams. I’m living them.
- More than just a piece of meat
- Pickup lines will get you everywhere with me
- …are you staring at my headline?
- All I get is women wanting sex. show me you’re different?
- So much more than just a beautiful face
Catchy Dating Headlines
- The 1 thing you should never do on PoF..
- The guiltiest pleasure? I’ll tell you..
- Biggest turn on? You’ll never guess..
- I like whiskey. But what I really love is..
- Looking for a female opinion…
- Give me anticipation. Or give me..
- Free trial period
- Exclusive offer. Act now
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back
- 9 out of 10 women agree
Elephant In The Room
- You believed the PoF commercial too?
- Looking for real love. Like eharmony slow-mo
- They said this was where the cool people date
- Wait. This was supposed to be plenty of liquorice
- This world has music. for those who listen
- Love is friendship set on fire
- Searching for inspiration
- Looking for someone special to share all this with
Funny Dating Headlines
- “I’m kind of a big deal.”
- “My library has many leather bound books..”
- “60% of the time it works…every time.”
- “I want to be on you.”
- The one mom warned you about
- Searching for your next big mistake?
- Escaped from prison. Now just a prisoner of the heart
- Love to cuss. Always respectful
- Where have I been all your life?
Cliche’ & Cray
- As real as it gets. definitely not a cyborg
- Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Unless it’s a dic pic
- I like to go out. But also stay in. Actually, I’m in jail.
- Just be yourself. Unless you like Nickelback.
- Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder
Funny In General
- Don’t fry naked. Been there.
- 50 shades of…ow. Actually, can you not do that
- I drink my own kool-aid
- Voted 1994 funniest profile
What’s The Best Profile Headline For You?
Because dating profile headlines for guys are rarely seen, and won’t affect your response rate directly, they’re best used to tie the rest of your dating profile together.
For that, it’s worth thinking about the overall vibe you’re going for with your dating profile.
Choosing An Attractive Archetype
Certain male personality traits & qualities are always attractive to women.
I’ve identified 2 dozen of them, and organized them into what we call Attractive Archtypes.
When building a dating profile around an archtype, you give yourself the advantage of working within a proven set of qualities women naturally find irresistable.
Doing it this way allows us to write headlines for dating sites with as little guesswork as possible. We can focus on what works instead.
Unsure about what makes you attractive? Ask yourself, “what’s important to you?”. “what are you passionate about”? And “what is my objective?”
The actions a man takes, and what’s on his mind, is basically who he is.
For example, if you love outdoor rock climbing, that can earn you “adventurer” points. If you’re an investor, your experience can qualify you as “established & successful”. It’s simply a matter of presenting what you’re about in a cool sounding way.
No matter who you are, there’s always a way to spin it into something attractive.
Different Headlines For Different Dating Platforms
PoF Headline Examples
Plenty Of Fish is the biggest site where funny dating headlines can still featured prominently. Because it’s a large general population dating site, the best strategy is to lead with a funny & fairly obvious headline.
On Plenty Of Fish, headlines are the most notable part of the search results. It’s unlikely this will mean anything for you though, unless you’re exceptionally attractive. And even then, you aren’t likely to pop up in many women’s searches. Because they don’t usually make the first move.
You Believed The PoF Commercial Too?
I’m looking for real. Like eHarmony slo-mo. Friends tell me I’m wookin per nub in all the wrong places. I have
SkiToBelieve 25 Looking for a relationship Bachelors degree Online Now
Strictly Deep Dish
They say you can take the kid out of Chicago. But you can’t take Chicago outta the kid…
PriceOfPizza 32 Looking for a relationship High School Online Now
Seeking Arrangement Headline Examples
SeekingArrnagement.com and Millionairematch.com cater to women looking for rich men. But talking about money directly isn’t interesting or attractive. Let’s take a look at how to do it in a classy, funny way.
Can’t afford college? I Need A Getaway Driver
40, New York, New York, United States
British accent? Check.
51, London, United Kingdom
Your Username Should Suit Your Dating Site
Keep in mind these dating profile headlines only apply to dating websites. Apps like Tinder & Bumble only show the users Facebook first names and bios when swiping. There are different ways to capture attention on those.
“What Do The Experts Think About Dating Profile Headlines?
These online matchmakers know a thing or 2 about dating headlines. They write them as part of their job.
Female Opinion From Amber Kakish – Personal Dating Assistant
“Headlines can be one of the first things you see when you visit a personal profile. They can tell you if the person is creative and witty, or not.”
Male Opinion From Matthew Violette – Personal Dating Assistant
“I like to have a headline be some type of warning for a reader. “Proceed with caution.” is a cliche and generic one…but how often in life do we like to navigate down that road even though we’ve been warned it’s dangerous?
“Warning: wings are super spicy” but we eat them anyway. Our curiosity is peaked and that’s exactly what I want to do to a reader. I want them to scroll down and read”
Female Opinion From Mia Topalian – Personal Dating Assistant
“Headlines are the best way to give a short taste of who you are: personality, humor, & a fun question for women to answer!”
In Conclusion, Don’t Sweat The Headline
Keep in mind that relative to everything else, your profile headline is the least important part of your overall dating profile. It’s not going to make or break your online dating success. So sweat over it a little bit. Then move on to the more important bits. Namely, your dating username, and your profile copy.
For Science! – How We Test Our Profile Headlines
For this example test, I started with a picture of a very photogenic guy. He’s not following all my best practices for dating pictures (he’s looking directly into the camera, medium crop, etc), but because he’s a stock photo, he’s bad at following my directions. Let’s call him “David”.
To start, I ran David through a photo scoring tool called Photofeeler. It’s useful as a starting point when trying to see how competitive any given picture of dating might be.
The goal for now is to simply see if women like this guy, before any sort of headline for dating is applied to him.
90% is an excellent attractiveness score. At this level, you might expect David to be able to sit back and just enjoy the inbound activity, regardless of his dating headline.
Unfortunately for David, that sort of role reversal effect doesn’t kick in, even for very attractive guys online, unless you’re pegging closer to 97-99% attractiveness. Sorry David. But you’re gonna have to work for it like the rest of us!
Creating The Dating Profiles To Test
Now that we know what we’re working with, I created 2 sets of test profiles on 2 different dating sites; PoF, and Seeking Arrangement.
I assigned David a catchy dating headline for 1 set of profiles, and a generic headline for the other.
I left his profiles up for 3 days, then checked on the interest he was getting. Experiment results are below.
Hi I’m David
Hi I’m David. Just looking around
David1990NYC 27 Looking for a relationship Bachelors degree Online Now
I thought this was Plenty Of Liquorice
Talk about a bait and switch…
ISOCandy 27 Looking for a relationship Bachelors degree Online Now
Headline Scorecards After 3 Days
Funny Dating Headline
Favorites & Lkes
Plenty Of Fish
Wants To Meet You
Photofeeler With Username Included
Generic Dating Headline
Plenty Of Fish
Wants To Meet You
Photofeeler With Username Included
Immediately obvious is the huge difference between sugar daddy dating, and mainstream dating sites when it comes to inbound interest.
That said, the differences between a generic profile dating headline and a playful one, on either platform appears to be fairly negligible for getting noticed online.
So Why Bother Writing A Good Headline?
The answer will intrigue you
- If you’re using a sugar daddy dating site, your headline will be visible on your main profile, and can help tie together your attractive archtype.
- If a woman does run a search, and you pop up, you’ve got a better chance to stand out from the crowd if you’ve got a catchy headline.
Want A Funny Dating Headline, Written For You?
Outsource Your Efforts To A Personal Dating Assistant
Get More Online Dating Opportunities Every Month. Guaranteed.
Online dating is hard. But you can outsource your efforts to a Personal Dating Assistant, and have it done for you. Imagine what life would be like, with regular dates setup for you, on a silver platter?
- 1. We Take Over Your Online Dating Profiles
- 2. We Find Women Who Meet Your Criteria
- 3. We Send Messages, Generate Interest, Suggest a Date, and Get Her Phone Number
- 4. The Rest, Is Up To You!
An attraction technologist at heart, he travels the world in search of beautiful women, new ways to help men with their online dating, and the perfect single malt whiskey.
His column runs Tuesdays.
Latest posts by Matthew Valentines (see all)
- The 9 Tinder Pictures Proven To Work Best For Regular Guys - March 25, 2017
- How To Write Dating Profile Headlines That Women Love - March 2, 2017
- Clever Usernames For Dating Made Easy: PoF, Okcupid And Match - February 24, 2017